Friday, December 19, 2014

Food in New York City (a problem)






















Cookies and cupcakes and bagels are not the issue when I'm in the Big Apple, but meals have always been a problem for me in New York City.  I watch videos, I look at websites, I pin things and make lists.  And I always end up eating in lame places.  A few examples.  Last year I was in New York City on Thanksgiving for the Macy's Parade.  The main issue that time was that there was hardly anything open on Thanksgiving day.  So my Thanksgiving dinner was a pretzel that I got waiting for my time slot at Top of the Rock.  In August when I was there with Adrienne I had grand plans to take her to some cool New York-y places (pizza, deli sandwiches, dumplings, etc.).  Well, by the time we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge we were hot and sweaty and starving.  We settled for Baja Fresh in Times Square and I was so disappointed in myself for caving, but I was also ready to eat my arm so I didn't even care.  Last weekend -- same thing.  New York City was its usual crowdedness around Christmas.  My friend and I wanted to see Macy's so we walked/subwayed it down there and by the time we arrived we were starving.  I remembered that there were restaurants in the store so we found one that was kind of expensive so went to the Cellar in the basement.  It was kind of expensive too ($17 for not-so-good fried chicken) but we didn't care and surprisingly, there was no wait.  And again, disappointment.

So I think the solution to my New York City meal problem is that I need to go with my restaurant list for a week and ramble around and make the main focus: food.

The end.

1 comment:

amydear said...

That happens to us all the time too. Sometimes we just end up snacking on great things instead - like the cookies at Levain Bakery. Yumm. Kyle plans our most of our trips around where we are going to eat. Yum.